Jointech (a tech company based out of Hong Kong) have recently announced that they have a new ebook reader (known as the JE100). It’s a 7-inch device that has a COLOR LCD touchscreen rather than an e-ink display.
This is the first non-e-ink portable ebook reader that we’ve had the chance to discuss, so we’re quite excited. Although e-ink seems to be the way of the future for electronic reading devices, it’s still nice to see competing technologies
The JE100 uses Windows CE 5.0, and has the following capabilities and specifications:
- Comes with Mobipocket Reader, MSReader and eReader support
- Can play video and audio files
- Ability to view and edit Microsoft Office documents
- 3-6 hour battery life
- 400 MHz processor (slower than both the Kindle 2 and Kindle DX)
- 128 MB internal flash storage
- 64 MB RAM
- Up to 4GB external storage
- Two USB ports (to plug in accessories like keyboards or for hooking the device up to a PC)
- Built-in speaker and audio-out port
Those specs seem fairly mediocre, and the battery life is definitely weak. It seems like more of a netbook or mini-PC than a portable ebook reader. I guess we’ll have to wait until people start buying and reviewing it until we can make a better-informed decision.
One thing’s for sure, though…it definitely looks sleek!